Sunday, June 04, 2006

No Halo-Halo or Balut For Me

When I arrived in Dumaguete I figured it would be appropriate to at least sample some of the native foods and take in an extra bit of culture. Admittedly, I am a food wimp and am easily scared off by food that has a face or in any way resembles the intact, living animal from which it was derived. In the same way, I tend to also steer clear of foods which, oh, I don't know, try to combine corn and gelatin and ice chips and beans. This is precisely the sort of concoction you'll find in halo-halo, which is a very popular cold dessert in the Philippines. Honestly, when I saw my first bowl of halo-halo I thought it was an art exhibit of some kind. Of course, if I was forced to choose between eating balut or halo-halo I'd certainly choose the latter. For those who don't know, balut is a fertilized duck egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. This most certainly falls into the first category of foods that I avoid (i.e. intact animals). Suddenly, beans and ice chips don't sound so bad :) Of course, if I had my choice I would just stick with the mango shakes at South Seas resort in Dumaguete.

5 Comments:

Blogger Airah said...

LOL..

i'm a pure Filipina and I never ate a balut. i mean... ewwww.

but i love halo halo.. try it. it's the best dessert around..

have a nice day! *hugs*

cheers,
aiRah - http://www.fieryairah.blogspot.com

P.S.: saw your url in my sitemeter from my free blogger templates page - http://www.funkzyde.blogspot.com

Sunday, June 04, 2006 6:20:00 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

Yeah, I can't imagine how balut would taste, and I really don't have a desire to find out ;) As far as halo halo goes, I think I'm just shocked at the combination of ingredients. My friend invited about 6 of her friends to join us for dinner and that's when I learned about this dessert. Honestly, I'd prefer a bowl of ice cream covered with chocolate sauce ;)

Sunday, June 04, 2006 8:53:00 AM  
Blogger Karen Chan said...

BALUT BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Haha - nice reflections on balut! This was my third mission trip to the Phillipines and no-one from my team had ever tried to make me eat one - shocking behaviour. Mind you, my team leader Derek said that I am the sort of person who can't be MADE to do something. However, I wanted to come back to HK and be able to say that I had eaten balut. A few of us ate it. I must say I did gag once, but more because I stuffed the whole thing in my mouth and it was too much. By the way, I called mine 'Wilbur' and he did look peacefully asleep.

Monday, June 05, 2006 9:23:00 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

I have never tried the balut but have boughten plenty to pass out and make friends. Maybe someday I will get the courage to try some.

I have had halo halo and I must say that it is quite delicious. To me, it tastes like the cereal Fruity Pebbles. But because of the fruits and ices that may or may not be rinsed in or made from purified water, I recommend having some immodium handy before trying it. I haven't gotten sick from eating it that I know of but I have never been as far south in the Philippines as you have.

Friday, July 28, 2006 8:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You missed a lot. Balut is very delicious. And aphrodisiac food. You really missed a lot!

Monday, January 29, 2007 11:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< An American in Dumaguete Home Page