Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Geckos & Roosters & Dogs, Oh My!

Regardless of where you decide to stay in Dumaguete you can expect to see plenty of geckos, roosters and dogs roaming freely. While dogs are pretty much confined to the more residential areas you should expect your hotel’s grounds to be frequented by roosters and geckos (i.e. lizards). The latter tend to be the most invasive, often taking a stroll around the walls in your room. I was understandably alarmed at first when a few of them decided to share my room at South Seas Resort, but my friend Marilyn assured me they do not bite. Their occasional chirping was unnerving for the first few days, but I later pretended this was simply their way of welcoming me to Dumaguete City. Unfortunately, the mosquitoes and countless other biting insects went with the more direct method of eating me alive.

3 Comments:

Blogger Christian Skoda said...

Don't worry about the Gekkos, though.
They are all over in Asia. Good thing is, they are useful in hunting down mosquitos and other insects, which would 'bug' you otherwise.

It's all your choice!

;-)

Monday, August 21, 2006 9:33:00 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

Hello Chris...yeah, the geckos didn't actually do anything other than letting out that unnerving chirp (which I did finally adjust to toward the end of my stay). Those bugs, however, were quite the nuisance. My first night in the Philippines was spent in Cebu, and I woke the next morning with bites that I swear I didn't have when I went to bed, so I cringe to think what all bit me. There is just no escape apparently.

Oh, well...those are the tropics for ya, I guess ;)

Monday, August 21, 2006 6:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this hey joe is nothing to do with tradition. It to do with an old television advert and its deemed as being very rude by all long term expats.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 5:38:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< An American in Dumaguete Home Page