Sunday, October 29, 2006

Dumaguete's Vigilante Virus

The promenade along Rizal Boulevard in DumagueteAdmittedly, this particular entry is more of an editorial piece on the current state of affairs in Dumaguete, as opposed to a descriptive passage about snorkeling at Apo Island or relaxing in the cool spring-fed pools at The Forest Camp.

My memories of Dumaguete are of a charming and resilient seaside town—where the natives display permanently fixed smiles and the way of life is both difficult and easy at the same time. As I read over the seemingly daily accounts of turmoil here I can not help but sense that the lifestyle of the average Dumagueteño has been drastically altered as of late. Even from my perch halfway across the globe I can perceive a certain degree of alienation as the locals struggle to recognize what has become of their Dumaguete. One day it was a place that reflected their values and welcomed all who visited with open arms. The next day it was a "killing field", as one writer had put it, where fear and violence ruled. Much of this chaos (though not all of it) has been instigated by the so-called "Roving Vigilantes", whose aim is to rid Dumaguete of all criminal elements "until the cause is clear". While the public appears to be divided on the issue of justifiable homicide, it is obvious that Dumaguete has lost its image as the "City of Gentle People". Or has it? Those of us who have been privileged enough to visit this place can speak volumes on the resolve of these people and their penchant for finding hope in the most horrific circumstances. Tragedy has befallen the people of Dumaguete, but I suspect triumph will soon follow.

O, Lord, may you walk beside these lovely people of Dumaguete, healing their wounds and removing the grief from their hearts. Amen.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ian Rosales Casocot said...

thanks for visiting my blog, corey. it was enlightening seeing my city from somebody else's eyes. :) are you still around?

Monday, October 30, 2006 10:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for visiting my blog, I already added your link in my blogroll list. Thanks again.

Monday, October 30, 2006 11:22:00 PM  
Blogger Robert Simms said...

Hi Corey. Glad to see you coming back to your Dumaguete blog.
When I was in Dumaguete in Apr. 2004, my wife's father would follow behind us on a motorcycle when we left their place in Sibulan going back to our hotel room. I guess he felt it wasn't save for us out alone at night. But, I have never felt unsafe in Dumaguete....it's a lot safer than Atlanta at night. ( by the way...we have a new website. www.dumaguetecity.net it's in it's early stages.We hope to improve as we go along. ) Bob

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been to Dumaguete before, and the beach photo brought back some memories! Thanks!

Monday, November 06, 2006 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

I wish the photo could have gone with a more positive subject, but I'm glad you could find something positive in the post, regardless.

By the way, the photo for this entry is another Wikipedia "imposter". I simply didn't have anything that would appropriately accompany the subject matter. That photo is a great respresentation of the Gentle City.

Monday, November 06, 2006 8:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< An American in Dumaguete Home Page