Tuesday, November 28, 2006

"The Amazing Race" in Dumaguete?

(Above: Could Phil Keoghan, host of "The Amazing Race", soon be making an appearance in Dumaguete?)

I have become quite an avid fan of The Amazing Race since I started watching the seventh season. In fact, it was during that very season that my trip to Dumaguete became a reality. As I watched my fellow Americans trek across the globe and interact with a diverse range of cultures, I wondered how my experiences in Dumaguete would compare. Obviously, my adventure would be without the road blocks, detours and fast forwards seen each week on the popular TV show. As it turns out, I actually did encounter a few detours, but these were not accompanied by a Phil Keoghan voice-over describing two tasks from which I had to choose. It's too bad—that would have given me something to do while I waited in Manila's domestic terminal.

Anyway, the likelihood of the producers choosing Dumaguete City as one of the destinations in Season 11 seems, sadly, quite remote. My guess is that Cebu will host the next venture into the Philippines (Manila was featured in Season 5). However, I think there are many qualities that would make Dumaguete a great "Amazing Race" town, not the least of which are the kind-hearted people who make it the bustling little metropolis it is.

I can just picture the first team arriving at the pit stop somewhere along the Promenade...

...they make that final dramatic stomp onto the mat and are immediately greeted by a local man who declares, simply and gently, "Welcome to Dumaguete City, Philippines". This pleasant salutation is then followed by some very important news from Phil...

..."Corey and Marilyn.....you're team number ONE!"

Could happen, right? :)

Tags: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ritche said...

I also hope these people will choose Dumaguete as one of the stops of the Amazing Race, but maybe it takes a lot of promotion, which, sadly, Dumaguete still do not get these days. Well, maybe, tourism guys here need to take a lot more effort to get noticed.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 10:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have chosen some very remote towns in the past, and I would say Dumaguete is much more mainstream than many of those towns. I don't know how they decide where to go. It might be worth a letter or e-mail to CBS recommending Dumaguete as the backdrop for an episode...or at least part of an episode. They could certainly go to Cebu, and then have a task which takes them on the OceanJet...

"Teams must travel 150 miles to the town of Dumaguete. Once there, teams will need to locate Jo's Chicken Inato, a favorite local eatery..."

I can't do it as well as Phil ;)

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 11:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corey, an American friend in Dumaguete once wrote in his blog (An American in Dumaguete) that there may have a possibility that the City of Gentle People will be featured on "Amazing Race Season 11"...

Thursday, December 21, 2006 6:34:00 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

Well, yeah, it was more wishful thinking than anything. I have not heard of any possiblity of this happening, but I suppose you never know. They are due back in the Philippines soon, but probably not Manila again (since they were just there in Season 5). There are other towns they can go through besides Manila.

Thursday, December 21, 2006 8:11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< An American in Dumaguete Home Page