Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Dumagueteño in Cincinnati

Cincinnati is a far cry from Dumaguete in many ways(Above: The shimmering lights of downtown Cincinnati, Ohio at night. Photo credit goes to Cincinnati Images.)

Assuming all goes well with the immigration process, Marilyn will be leaving her humble home in Dumaguete and joining me here in the Cincinnati metro area sometime next year. I often wonder how she will respond to such a drastic change in culture after spending her entire life in the Philippines. I am convinced she will find this place devoid of the activity and personality of Dumaguete. Sure, there are many options for entertainment, but very few involve any actual interaction with other human beings. Socially speaking, Americans tend to be dead from the neck up. That isn't to say we aren't among the most amiable people in the world, but we often must be reminded of our capacity to fellowship with others.

Marilyn, if you're reading this, I'll be honest with you...Cincinnati is no Dumaguete. In fact, I doubt there exists such a place in America that compares with the culturally rich and uniquely hospitable landscape which undergirds Dumaguete.

Ahh, but I am here...and this, she tells me, is all that will ever matter to her. Ain't love swell? :)

Tags: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Robert Simms said...

We live in a small town in northwest Georgia.You'd be surprised at the number of filipinas who live in our area.We're very lucky to have found so many friends.Even our pediatrician is from Cebu.Cathy and I are Catholic (as are the majority of filipinas) and it was easy meeting many at church.Marilyn may find Cincinnati very different than Dumaguete but when she's able to find friends here she'll be ok.

Thursday, November 23, 2006 5:36:00 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Easiest way to meet Filipinas is go to a Catholic church or to sales. We've meet perhaps 30 Filipinos in the three years we have lived in this town of 12,000 and know perhaps five times that many in the neighboring areas.

I was worried that Mrs. Abbey would have a hard time adapting but she seems to be thriving here. Of course, we regularly go back to the Philippines for family and a healthy dose of the native country, a cure-all for long Iowa winters.

Monday, November 27, 2006 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger christine said...

Wow this is all so exciting for both of you, I bet! I do hope her papers are ready soon and she's there without a hitch. I know she'll be happy, being that she'll be reunited with her soulmate.

Monday, November 27, 2006 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

Hi Christine...I'm founding there is a LOT of info to think about, and so much detail. I had decided to go with an immigration attorney for peace of mind. It may or may not cost more in the end, but getting Marilyn here really has no price on it.

Thanks for stopping by!

Thursday, November 30, 2006 5:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello. I'm a Filipina and I've family in Cincinnati...actually my entire clan is there already. They are in the Butler county area so in case you need Marily to feel some Filipino contact there, maybe bring her in that area.

Cheers!

Thursday, March 08, 2007 2:53:00 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

Hello littlemissliving...

I do hope you come back to visit the blog again. Please feel free to get my e-mail address from my profile and let me know how I might get in touch with some of your family. I know it is important that Marilyn have Filipino contacts right here to help with the transition to a new culture.

I live in Warren County, by the way, which is right next door to Butler :)

Thursday, March 08, 2007 5:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I passed by :) how's you and marilyn?

Thursday, March 29, 2007 7:34:00 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

Hi there...we're doing okay...just lots of waiting and waiting...

We try to set aside prayer time each day to help us keep our focus during this time of patience.

Enjoy your day!

Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:58:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< An American in Dumaguete Home Page