Friday, January 05, 2007

Dumaguete via Seoul, Hong Kong & Manila

Hong Kong was just one of many cities I marginally experienced on my way to Dumaguete. Even if I never left the airport, I can still say I was there, right ;)

My voyage to Dumaguete took me through several cities, only one of which I had ever seen before (Atlanta):
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Seoul, South Korea
  • Hong Kong
  • Manila, Philippines
  • Cebu City, Philippines
  • Tagbilaran, Philippines
For someone who had scarce traveled in his own country this was a fantastic journey filled with new and wonderful experiences. Although it was quite taxing at times (at no point did I sleep) I kept thinking about that final moment when I would meet Marilyn for the first time.

Before I knew it, the plane was touching down in Cebu City and my trepidation increased exponentially. Marilyn had traveled up from Dumaguete to "fetch" me at the Mactan-Cebu International Airport. After 10,000 miles and 23 hours of flying, I was met by this princess from Dumaguete. We spent a few days in Cebu, and then boarded the Super Cat ferry, destined for the Gentle City.

Tags: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert Simms said...

When going to Manila via Philippine we stopped in Hawaii to refuel but never got off the plane. Going there via Northwest Airlines we stopped in Japan where we were able to at least see the inside of the airport. So, I guess I could start a conversation by saying "The first time I was in Japan........."

Sunday, January 07, 2007 6:28:00 AM  
Blogger Corey said...

Ha ha...I actually never set foot on Korean soil since we were just there for a refuel.

Originally, my itinerary was supposed to be LAX to Hong Kong to Cebu (on Cathay Pacific). However, due to high cross winds (so they say) and extra cargo they added Incheon (Seoul) as a refueling stop, which delayed me enough to miss my flight from Hong Kong to Cebu. The next available flight into the Philippines was to Manila (I had wanted to avoid it), and that was on Cebu Pacific. And I took Cebu Pacific again for that final leg to Cebu.

I arrived at 4:30pm local time, instead of the originally scheduled 11:30am. So, all in all, not bad.

Sunday, January 07, 2007 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Robert Simms said...

I'm hoping we can make it to Cebu next trip.Manila isn't so bad if you're passing thru.But,only problem is having to take a taxi to the domestic airport if you land in Manila.Can be a bit scary the first time.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 4:58:00 PM  
Blogger Corey said...

I did get to take a shuttle bus from NAIA to the domestic terminal. This wasn't part of the original plan, but it really gave me a story to tell. It didn't take long before we got into the heaviest traffic and hottest weather I have ever experienced...and I knew at that point I was very far from home. I think it took over 30 minutes to go the 1/2-mile or so to the domestic terminal.

Overall, this trip was much more "exciting" than it was originally supposed to be. Adding the 4am Seoul refuel stop and the 2 hours in Manila just gave me a better story to tell.

I have fond memories of it all...

Tuesday, January 09, 2007 9:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< An American in Dumaguete Home Page